Happy to share with you that Dr Ashok Jhunjhunwala, Professor In-Charge IITM Research Park met with the Hon’ble CM Thiru Edappadi K Palanisami at the Secretariat yesterday and handed over cheques for ₹1,25,38,000 towards land lease rental for the land allotted by the Tamil Nadu Government to set up India’s first University based Research Park. Chief Secretary Thiru K Shanmugam was also present. Professor appraised Hon’ble CM that the IIT Madras Research Park (IITMRP) has emerged as one of the top and most vibrant innovation ecosystems in Asia focussed on:
- R&D leading to Commercialisation – more than 100 Domestic and International Industry Clients have set up their R&D Centres at IITMRP.
- Startup Success – over 200 deep tech Startups incubated that have created more than 4000 jobs and have a combined market cap of about ₹7000 Crores.
- Centres of Excellence – several IITM Centres of Excellence including Biotechnology, Clean Water, Electric Vehicles, Healthcare, Manufacturing and Wireless Technologies in IITMRP are developing innovative solutions to address national challenges.
He requested Hon’ble CM that the Tamil Nadu Government
- Extend our land lease to 99 years
- Leverage the Research Park as a showcase for potential Global Investors and also conduct select events here
He also requested the Hon’ble CM visit the Research Park during February (with the pandemic receding) and inaugurate an event showcasing our deep-tech Startups and a Conference of Incubators that is being envisioned. Hon’ble CM has accepted the invitation. We will keep you updated as the details are worked out.